If you missed this past Sunday's message, check it out here. As we said on Sunday, the invitation for this passage is to move from our identification with the younger brothers to an identification with the father. We are to become the father, ready and waiting with open arms to receive prodigals that have returned home, not with the demands of justice, but with an abundance of mercy.
As you think about this story, ponder the following questions:
- In what ways have you been humiliated for love?
- When have you welcomed the prodigal?
- What specific steps are you taking to “run the gauntlet” for others - making it easier to return home?
- Honestly now: How is Ecclesia doing at being the father? At welcoming the younger brothers home? Of truly inviting the elder brothers to the party?
- What obstacles do we have preventing more returns?